Appeals Case Management System (ACMS)
ACMS Program Overview
The mission of the CDSS is to serve, aid, and protect needy and vulnerable children and adults in ways that strengthen and preserve families, encourage personal responsibility, and foster independence. The CDSS State Hearings Division (SHD) is a federal and state mandated organization whose functions are critical to the overall infrastructure and integrity of the California Health and Human Services Agency (CHHSA). The State of California provides due process to recipients of California welfare benefits through state hearings conducted by CDSS SHD.
CDSS SHD is responsible for ensuring due process for individuals who wish to appeal administrative decisions on benefits for public assistance programs. Welfare and Institutions Code Section 10950 provides dissatisfied applicants or recipients of public social services the right to request a state hearing and the opportunity to present his/her case directly to the CDSS for a formal decision. The CDSS SHD conducts administrative hearings and resolves disputes of applicants and recipients of 22 public social services programs. The programs include: Covered California (CC), California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs), CalFresh (formerly Food Stamp program), Medi-Cal, and In-Home Supportive Services. Federal mandates require that all requests for hearings be adjudicated within 90 days of a recipient’s request (60 days for CalFresh).
ACMS Business Objectives
The ACMS is a solution to provide claimants or their authorized representative online, real-time access to their case information and will:
- Reduce the average life cycle of an Appeal Case from receipt of the Hearing Request to release of the decision.
- Ensure 100% of notifications to the public are available in English and 12 other languages.
- Consolidate the Sound Recording Application, Audio Transfer and Upload Log Database.
- Minimize staff time for the manual calculation and review of penalties due to untimely release of decisions.
- Consolidate the Decision System, Decision Archive and Decision Release and 100% of the functionality associated with them into a single process.